John Darwin Shepard Cook(08)
Name: John Darwin Shepard Cook
Born: 21 Nov 1834 in Pine Hill, Ulster County, NY
Died: Jul 16, 1909, buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Kansas City, MO
- Union College in 1859
- JD in Law from Albany Law School
- Union University in 1861.
Married: Rosalie Elvira Barlow on 7 Sep 1865, Scranton PA
Spouse born: 5 Jun 1839 in Salem PA.
Spouse died: 14 Mar 1887, buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Kansas City, MO
(From 99-b-13 ABC Pdgre, 99-b-14 ABC Pdgre & 99-b-15 ABC Pdgre, See Front Page)
Link to Rosalie Barlow Cook Background, pg 08a L1
Military personnel-80th New York Infantry.
NY troops Infantry-Union.
Photographer: O'Sullivan, Timothy H.,1840-1882, taken Sep 1863. Photograph
from the Main Eastern Theater of War, Meade in Virginia, Aug-Nov 1863.
Civil War photographs,1861-1865/compiled by Hirst D. Milhollen & Donald H. Mugridge, Wash DC
Library of Congress, 1977. No. 0227 (Forms part of Selected Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 (Library of Congress)
Wet plate negatives. United States--Virginia--Culpeper. MEDIUM: 1 negative : glass, wet collodion.
JDSC is sitting in the second chair from the left.
A Biographical Sketch for Old and New Lawrence by John Darwin Shepard Cook (08) dated 1 May 1899.
Link to a document from John Darwin Shepard Cook about his life, pg 08a L2
- 1834 Nov 21, Born at Pine Hill Ulster County NY.
- 1850-52 Prepared for College Franklin Delaware County NY.
- 1852-50 Taught District School various places, North Eastern PA.
- 1855 Entered Union College Schenectady NY.
- 1859 Graduated from Union College
- 1859 Taught in Academy & Studied law Kingston Ulster County NY.
- 1861 Graduated Albany Law School & admitted to practice law in NY
- 1861 Commissioned 10 Oct & mustered 1ST Sieut Company G.,
- ____ 80th NY.Inf (20 th NYSM)
- 1863 Promoted 4 Mar to Captain same company & Regiment
- 1861-64 Served with army of the Patrons. Was at eleven battles. Principals were:
- Second Bull Run,
- Cold Harbor.
- 1864 Resigned & Honorably Discharged 19 Dec
1865 Married 5 Sep Rose E.Barlow & removed to Coldwill County MO.*
- 1867-68 Assistant assessor U.S.Internal Revenue,6th district of
Miesausic for Harrison Davies & Coldwell Counties MO.
- 1869 Removed residence to Kansas City MO
- 1874 Appointed by Chief Justice Waite Register in Bankrupt County
Western Dist of MO and held office till law of 1867 expired.
- 1885 Removed residence to Lawrence Kansas
- 1885 Became member on The Old & New
- 1886 Oct. Returned to Kansas City MO on account of failing health of wife.
- 1899 May, Still residing in Kansas City MO.
- Church relations - Member of Grace Church, Kansas City
- Politics - Active Republican 1855-1880. Since then, Independent.
- Societies and Clubs
* Rosalie was the daughter of Joseph & Phoebe Phillips Barlow.
- College: Alpha Delta Phi, Philomathian Phi BETA Kappa
- General - A.T & A.M. Military
- Special - Old & New
- Order of Loyal Legion, Kansas Commandery
Notes: John was highly respected for his professional and ethical mannerisms during and
after the war. Philip Cook (09) wrote a paper about his father's experience when he obtained a
sword from Colonel Hodges who was a Confederate on the battlefield. See link "Story of the Swords"
link. John wrote a paper titled "Personnel Reminiscences of Gettysburg";
including Pickett's Charge which is another link.|
Name: Josephine Phillips Cook (09)
Born: 14 Jul 1866 in Kingston, MO
Married: Joseph Barlow Lippincott on 5 Mar 1890 in Beverly NJ.
Name: Harriett Shepard Cook(09)|
Born: 11 May 1869 in Kingston MO
Married: Samuel Wallace Moore on 30 Sep 1896 in Kansas City MO.
Name: George Trumbull Cook(09)|
Born: 14 Oct 1872 in Kansas City MO
Married: Ethlyn Hannah Bugbee on 16 Sep 1896 in Kansas City MO.
Name: The Right Reverend Philip Cook(9)|
Born: 4 Jul 1875 in Kansas City MO.
Married: Anita Lavin in New York City in 1904. Died giving birth, child also died.
- BA from Trinity College in 1898.
- DD from Trinity College
- DD from St John's College Annapolis MD.
- STD at General Theological Seminary,
New York City 1902.
2nd Marriage: Adeline Hallett Bassett on 5 Oct 1911 in New York, NY.